SOPHOMORE COMMUNITY SERVICE REQUIREMENT OVERVIEW
Class of 2019
The Community Service program is an essential part of the Loyola High School educational experience rooted in Ignatian tradition. St. Ignatius of Loyola said that love is shown in deeds not words. Our students are guided towards fulfilling their community service requirements by working with and serving an under-served and/or marginalized community. During each of your four years at Loyola, you will partake in a community service project. The completion of each year’s project is required for graduation.
To fulfill your sophomore community service hours, you will be asked to dedicate your time and talents to -
- Preferably one service projectfor a minimum of 25 hours.
- A minimum of 10 out of the required 25 hours must be completed, then recorded in your x2VOL account no later than Friday, February 3, 2017. All remaining hours due by Friday, June 2, 2017.
- You may begin counting service hours once you have submitted your completed registration form (pages 3 & 4 of this packet) to Loyola Community Service Center and it is approved by Mr. Zeko or Mrs. Moran. Hours completed prior to submission of your registration form WILL NOT BE COUNTED.
- One of our pre-qualified service sites (this is preferred). Lists of pre-qualified sites may be found on the Community Service Webpage and in the Community Service Center.
- Should you wish to complete your service at a site not found on the pre-qualified list, you must obtain prior approval from Mr. Zeko or Mrs. Moran prior to beginning the registration process. With prior approval, HSPT-8, LA Urban Plunge, Loyola Immersion Trips, and Loyola Father Son Service Projects and Loyola Day of Service Activities may also be counted toward fulfilling your service requirements.
- A project where you can incorporate direct interaction with the persons/population with whom you are serving.
- A population that is underserved, and/or marginalized.
- In addition, your service project Corporal and Spiritual Works of Mercy, which are charitable actions by which we come to the aid of our neighbor in his/her spiritual and bodily necessities (Catechism of the Catholic Church, para.2447) should be at the heart of your service.
In addition to completing your required service hours, you will also be expected attend and participate in two reflection meetings during the school year. At each meeting you will be invited to share your service experience through reflection exercises and discussion.
The Community Service staff is here to help guide you towards creating and maintaining a meaningful and successful community service project. It is our hope that through this project you will experience and further develop what it means to be a man for and with others.
We look forward to working with you!
How to track and submit your completed service hours
All of your completed service hours will be tracked through the x2VOL system. Follow these next directions to track your hours. *You cannot begin tracking your service hours until you have completed: (1) Step #1 – Officially register your Sophomore Service Project, and (2) have completed your first set of service hours your approved site.
- Log on to your Naviance account.
- Click on the x2VOL link under the Resources tab on the left hand side of your screen in Family Connection.
- Complete your x2VOL profile the first time you access x2VOL.
- Click on the “Opportunities & Projects” tab, then click “My Activity Log.”
- Next click on the Create New button next to Personal Projects.
- You’ll be taken to the Create a Personal Project page.
- In the Activity Name field, enter the name of your approved service site.
- In the Project Description field, describe what you did and how you interacted with the community you worked with.
- Under the Activity Contact section of this page, enter the site contact person and their email address.
- Make sure you enter the name of the person at your site that can confirm your hours.
- Under the Claim hours section make sure to enter the date and the hours you completed the service.
- In the Reflection field, please respond to the following:
- Think about what you did, who you met, what you took away from this service project.
- What is the most important quality you learned about yourself from this experience?
- Under Apply hours to goals, apply your hours to your Class of 2019 Goals.
- Apply your first 10 hours of service to the goal labeled Sophomore Service Hours – First 10 hours. Remember, these hours are due by Friday, February 3, 2017.
- Apply the remaining 15 hours to the goal labeled Sophomore Service Hours.
- Click submit.