Incoming Frosh Athletics
Dear Member of the Class of 2023:
Congratulations and welcome to Loyola High School. Loyola offers one of the most successful and competitive high school athletic programs in California. For seven of the last eleven years, Loyola has won the CIF Commissioner’s Cup recognizing Loyola as the top male athletic program of the 585 public and private schools in the CIF Southern Section.
I would like to inform you of the athletic opportunities that are available to you during your freshman year as well as inform you of some summer workouts that you may choose to participate in this summer. Before I do so, I want to clarify the goals of the athletic department during the summer.
It is the intention of Loyola’s athletic department to give each athlete a winning experience, to challenge you both physically and mentally and teach “life-lessons” that will help you both on and off the field/court for the rest of your life. It is our hope that you are able to play every sport you desire, but your ability and time constraints may not make that dream possible. If you have the ability to be a three-sport athlete your freshman year, we want you to be able to do so. There are many sports that you can try out for during the year and it is never the intention of anyone involved in Loyola athletics to pressure any freshman into playing or not playing a particular sport.
Parents; on the following pages you will read about opportunities for your son to workout with coaches during the summer. These are opportunities for your son to be introduced to athletics at Loyola, to improve his skills and to meet some of his new classmates. THESE WORKOUTS ARE NOT TRYOUTS. THEY ARE NOT MANDATORY AND ATTENDANCE DOES NOT GUARANTEE A PLACE ON ANY TEAM DURING THE SCHOOL YEAR (excluding Football). The coaches and I hope your son will attend workouts this summer because he wants to and because he enjoys playing sports. ATTENDANCE WILL NOT BE TAKEN AT THE WORKOUTS (excluding Football). IF A WORKOUT IS MISSED, NO PENALTY WILL BE ASSESSED (excluding Football). Please do not call the coaches during the summer to report an absence. Missed workouts, one or many, have absolutely no bearing on membership on any team.
Our hope is that your son is able to play as many sports as his abilities allow. Before final cuts are made for a particular sport, no promises will be made to your son regarding which team he is going to play on or what position he is going to play. If you have any questions, please do not hesitate to call me at Loyola at extension 1516.
Congratulations again on being a member of the class of 2023 and I hope to meet you and your family this fall.
Chris O’Donnell ‘88
Dear Class of 2023,
Congratulations on your acceptance to Loyola High School. I would like to take this opportunity to invite you to be a part of the rich tradition of Loyola Football—a program that has produced one National Championship, six C.I.F. “Major Division” Championships and ten C.I.F. “Major Division” Players of the Year. Being a part of such a great tradition is a commitment of time and energy that is demanding and intense.
All Freshmen football players will need to report on Friday, July 19th at 3:00 p.m. During this time we will do equipment fitting and complete all necessary paperwork. Our first day of conditioning practice will be on Tuesday, August 6th leading up to our first padded practice on Friday, August 9th. Once practice begins, it will be every day except Sunday, until the season ends in late-October. When classes begin in late August, we will have morning practice on Monday and Tuesday. On Wednesday, practice will be after school.
We will evaluate everyone during camp. All games will be played on Thursdays/Fridays and Saturdays. Players who do not play a significant amount on Thursday/Friday will play in the Reserve game on Saturday. The number of Reserve games will depend on how many opponents we can schedule.
We are very excited about the upcoming season. Through hard work and dedication, this season will the beginning of your great overall experience here at Loyola.
WEIGHT LIFTING & CONDITIONING
There is a strength and conditioning component to prepare you for the upcoming season. Loyola High School offers freshman weight lifting and conditioning through the Summer School Office, and we expect anyone who plans to play to participate. Class begins on June 17th and will end on July 19, 2019. Classes will be on Mondays, Wednesdays and Fridays. All freshmen football players are encouraged to enroll in either Period 1 – 8:30 a.m. class, Period 2 – 10:10 a.m. class or Period 3 – 12:00 p.m. class. A t-shirt will be given to each student enrolled in the weight training class and is expected to be worn at each meeting along with your own athletic shorts. Additionally, during the summer, there are eight football practices for any freshman considering participating in the fall. Practices are held on Monday, Wednesday, and Friday afternoons (dates and times follow on page two). Players who intend on being part of the team in the fall are strongly encouraged to attend of the summer practices as possible. Players should wear football cleats, and the t-shirt and shorts from the weight training class. Please bring water/Gatorade as we will be working out in the afternoon and it is important to stay hydrated.
1. Please register your son online for the Freshman Football team.
2. All students participating in sports at Loyola will need to purchase a “Spirit Pack.”
Please be aware that the deadline for ordering is 5/11 – 5/28.
3. Insurance is mandatory. Information regarding the fee and online payment will be given out on Administration Day, Friday, July 19th.
4. All necessary medical records paperwork must be turned in prior to working out. An information flyer with directions will be included in the packet of material that your son will receive from the Office of Student Health when he comes in for testing on Saturday, May 11th. Please contact Loyola’s Head Athletic Trainer, Mr. Tim Moscicki, at email@example.com with any questions.
FIRST DAY OF PRACTICE
The first day of Fall Freshman Football practice is on Tuesday, August 6, 2019. From this day forward, all practices are mandatory. Please be sure to bring the following: tennis shoes, an athletic supporter, white socks, cleats, a towel, soap, pencils, a spiral notebook (for chalk talks), a healthy lunch (Min. 3000 calories), sunscreen, sports drinks and/or water in large plastic bottles (a minimum of one gallon), and the t-shirt and shorts given to you at weight training. You will need a colored mouthpiece, and you should probably have an extra in case you lose one. You must have your hair cut in the traditional Loyola buzz cut, short enough that you cannot grab it. As previously stated, we will practice every day except Sunday.
PARENTS: You are welcome to come and watch practice from the bleachers on Hernandez Field. We ask that you remain off the field during practice.
Please note the following important dates:
Summer Practice Dates:
Wednesday, June 19th – 3:00 p.m. to 5:30 p.m.
Friday, June 21st – 3:00 p.m. to 5:30 p.m.
Monday, June 24th – 3:00 p.m. to 5:30 p.m.
Wednesday, June 26th – 3:00 p.m. to 5:30 p.m.
Friday, June 28th – 3:00 p.m. to 5:30 p.m.
Monday, July 1nd – 3:00 p.m. to 5:30 p.m.
Monday, July 8th – 3:00 p.m. to 5:30 p.m.
Wednesday, July 10th – 3:00 p.m. to 5:30 p.m.
Friday, July 19th – 3:00 p.m. to 5:00 p.m. Administration Day – Mandatory – Equipment Hand Out
Beginning Fall Season:
Tuesday, August 6th – Acclimation Period Practice 7:00 a.m. to 5:00 p.m. (Daily workout schedules to come)
Wednesday, August 7th – Acclimation Period – Practice 7:00 a.m. to 5:00 p.m.
Thursday, August 8th – Acclimation Period – Practice 7:00 a.m. to 5:00 p.m.
Friday, August 9th – First day of Pads – Practice – 7:00 a.m. to 5:00 p.m.
Saturday, August 10th – Practice – 7:00 a.m. to 5:00 p.m.
Monday, August 12th – Saturday, August 17th – Practice – 7:00 a.m. to 5:00 p.m.
Monday, August 19th – Friday, August 23rd – Practice – 7:00 a.m. to 5:00 p.m.
Saturday, August 24th – Blue & White Day – Game time 9:00 a.m.
Should you have any questions, please feel free to contact us at the e-mail addresses below.
Thank you and welcome to Loyola Football! Go Cubs!
Levi Line – Freshman Head Football Coach: firstname.lastname@example.org
Drew Casani – Varsity Head Football Coach: email@example.com
Dear New Member of the Class of 2023
Congratulations on being accepted to join us at Loyola High School. I would like to take this opportunity to invite you to take part in a very special Athletic program here at Loyola, the LOYOLA HIGH SCHOOL CROSS COUNTRY TEAM. The Cross Country team now celebrates its nineteenth consecutive Top-Ten California State Ranking as well as six California State Championships; two State Runner-up finishes; three C.I.F. Southern Section Championships in the last nineteen years (along with two C.I.F. Southern Section Runner-up finishes).
Already, the members of next year’s team are beginning their workouts. Aside from their track schedule, the team is running a minimum of 30 to 45 minutes daily. The team races on an average of once a week during the season. The races are three miles long and vary in difficulty depending upon the course. Races are held from August until Thanksgiving weekend. As an added incentive, those who train and run well over the summer will be invited to participate in a two-week training program at Mammoth Lakes during the early part of August. Participants in this program will be determined by the order of finish in a time-trial race that will be held in the middle of July. Further information will be provided.
If you would like to be a part of next year’s team, fill out the lower portion of this page, and return it to me as soon as possible. You will be contacted by me, and I will answer any questions to get you started in summer training.
Head Coach – Loyola Cross Country
– – – – – – – – – – – D E T A C H – – – – – – A N D – – – – – R E T U R N – – – – – – – – – – – – – – – – – – – – –
CROSS COUNTRY TEAM
Yes, I am interested in joining the 2019 Cross Country Team.
Name:______________________________Phone Number: ___________________________
Address: ______________________________ City & Zip: _____________________________
Mail to: Mr. Lalo Díaz Loyola High School
or email to: 1901 Venice Boulevard
firstname.lastname@example.org Los Angeles, CA 90006
Dear Member of the Class of 2023,
Congratulations on being accepted to Loyola High School!
The Water Polo team at Loyola will be conducting workouts for incoming freshmen during the summer. The days that freshmen will work out are June 19th, 26th, July 3rd and 10th from 3:00 p.m. – 5:30 p.m. Please meet at Conn pool, located next to the gym. Athletes should bring a swimsuit, goggles and towel. The workouts are not mandatory, but are definitely recommended. These workouts will give your son a chance to meet other Freshmen Water Polo players and coaches, learn and enjoy the game, as well as prepare himself physically and strategically to contribute to the Loyola Water Polo Team in the fall. Athletes who demonstrate skills beyond the freshman level may be asked to workout with the JV team during the summer. The schedule for the JV team this summer is Tuesday 6:00 a.m. – 8:00 a.m., Wednesday 3:00 p.m.- 5:30 p.m., and Friday 7:00 a.m. – 8:30 a.m.
The 2018 Varsity team made the Division 1 playoffs again, finishing in the semi-finals. We have an experienced team that returns some very strong players who look to make a major impact this upcoming season. We have been able to enter some prestigious tournaments this fall, and we will have the chance to play against some of the best players and teams in the nation. I am very excited for our Cubs to step up to this challenge.
The Varsity and JV teams will begin fall tryouts on August 12th, 2019. The first day of Freshman tryouts is August 19, 2019, and it is MANDATORY for all interested in Loyola Water Polo. Tryout times and other important information will be posted on the Loyola website (www.loyolahs.edu) under Athletics/Team Pages/Water Polo/Freshmen.
All necessary paperwork must be turned in prior to working out. Please refer to the information letter from our Athletic Trainer, Tim Moscicki. Any questions regarding this paperwork should be directed to him at email@example.com .
There is a strength and conditioning component to prepare you for the upcoming season. Loyola High School offers freshman weight lifting and conditioning through the Summer School office and I encourage anyone who plans to play to participate. Note, this class begins on June 17, 2019, and will end on July 19, 2019. I would recommend taking this class during Period 2 to not conflict with possible JV workouts.
Dates to remember:
Monday, June 17, 2019 Summer School weight lifting class begins
Monday, June 19, 2019 Voluntary workouts begin
Friday, July 19, 2019 Summer school/Water Polo End. Begin Vacations here!
Monday, August 12th, 2019 First day of official JV Fall Tryouts- Not mandatory
Monday, August 19th, 2019 First day of official Freshman Fall Tryouts – Mandatory
If you would like a more detailed summer schedule or have questions about Loyola Water Polo, feel free to email me at firstname.lastname@example.org. Please direct your general inquiries regarding athletics at Loyola to our Athletic Director, Chris O’Donnell, at 213-381-5121, ext. 1516, or email@example.com.
Thank you very much and I look forward to meeting you soon!
Head Water Polo Coach
Dear Loyola Freshman:
During the summer, the Loyola Basketball program will be conducting workouts for incoming Freshman. These workouts are scheduled for the following Saturdays: June 22nd, June 29th, July 13th and July 20th. The workouts will be from 10:00 a.m. until Noon.
The workouts are set up for anyone who is interested in playing basketball at Loyola in the fall. It is not a try out and they are not mandatory. Your attendance will in no way impact your trying out for the team in the fall. It is just an opportunity to familiarize yourself with the gym and the coaches during the summer.
We ask that you wear basketball shoes, shorts and T-shirts with your last name written on the back to the workouts. We will be working on fundamentals, as well as provide some time for full court scrimmaging.
I hope to see you this summer.
Head Varsity Basketball Coach
Loyola High School
Dear Loyola Freshmen:
Congratulations on your acceptance into the Loyola Cub Family. I wanted to inform you that during the summer, the Loyola Baseball program will be conducting open workouts and scrimmages for incoming freshmen. These workouts will be held on Tuesdays and Thursdays on the baseball field (Hernandez Field) on the west end of campus. The following dates have been reserved for the workouts: July 15th, 16th, 17th and 18th. The workout will be from 5:00 p.m. until 7:30 p.m. I encourage everyone to get here no later than 4:30 p.m. as we will want to start right away.
The workouts are designed for any incoming freshmen who are interested in playing baseball at Loyola the following spring season. These workouts are not tryouts and are not mandatory. Your attendance will in no way impact your making the spring roster. It will be used to familiarize yourself with the field, the field house, cages and coaches as you enter your freshmen year. Formal tryouts for the spring season will begin in November. In addition, students who are playing winter sports will have their tryout in February.
Players should come prepared for full baseball activity. They should bring water, sunscreen, cleats, a hat, baseball pants, and a shirt with their last name written on the back. They should also bring all their baseball gear (bats, gloves, etc.) We will be working on basic baseball skills in groups and will transition into intra-squad scrimmages.
I am asking that if you are planning to attend, please email me the dates that you will attend so that we can organize groups and make it as productive as possible for everyone. Again, these are not mandatory but we would like to know beforehand who will be attending so that it can be organize and efficient.
I am looking forward to meeting you this summer. Sincerely,
Head Baseball Coach
Dear Loyola Freshman:
The Loyola High School Athletics Department welcomes all members of the Class of 2023 and recommends our highly successful Summer Weight Training and Conditioning Program.
The program, which meets three times a week (Monday, Wednesday and Friday) for 90 minute sessions, will begin Monday, June 17 and will continue through July 19. Freshmen interested in playing football in the fall are encouraged to enroll in the summer weight training class in any one of the following three periods: Period 1 – 8:30 a.m. Class, Period 2 – 10:10 a.m. Class, or Period 3 – 12:00 p.m. Class.
The tuition for Weight Training is $425.00 for the entire summer. This class is open to Loyola students only and should be considered a must for all, but not limited to, those students who intend to participate in sports. Our Pernecky Weight Training Center and outdoor facilities enhance our program. Register for the Weight Training and Conditioning just like any other summer school class by completing the online registration by May 22, 2019. After May 22 late registration is available, however there will be a late registration fee assessment of $50.00. There will be no refunds for cancellation after May 22, 2019.
If you have any questions concerning the Summer Weight Training Program, please contact Judy Dell’Amico at 213-381-5121 ext. 3017 or email at firstname.lastname@example.org .
Chris O’Donnell ‘88
Dear Member of the Class of 2023,
Welcome and Congratulations.
I want to alert you and your family about Loyola’s athletics app which is the best way to learn about and keep up with all of Loyola athletic teams. Loyola’s app is titled Loyola Cubs and can be found at the Apple app store or Google Play. When downloaded, you can access every Loyola team’s schedule, roster, news, pictures and videos. By following a team and allowing us to send you notifications, you will get all the scores and news sent directly to your phone.
If your son is considering playing a sport(s) next year at Loyola, I would strongly encourage you to “follow” the team(s) that you are interested in to get new and updates regarding tryouts and other important information. All schedules for summer work-out opportunities (Baseball, Basketball, Cross Country, Football and Water Polo) will be posted on the App and also posted on the Loyola website on the main athletics page (https://www.loyolahs.edu/athletics/) under “Incoming Frosh Athletic Information”.
How to download the App and follow teams:
1. To download the app simply go to the App Store or Google Play and search “Loyola Cubs”. The app is free.
2. When you first download the app be sure to ALLOW the notification request so that we can keep you updated.
3. To follow and get updates for a specific team simply “favorite” that team by clicking on the star located in the left corner of the team photo.
Again, congratulations on your acceptance and welcome to Loyola Athletics. Please feel free to reach out with any questions.
Chris O’Donnell ‘88
Contact Chris O’Donnell email@example.com or 213-381-5121 ext. 1516
Dear Loyola Freshman,
Congratulations and welcome to Loyola High School. Loyola offers one of the most successful and competitive high school athletic programs in California. I would like to inform you of the athletic opportunities that are available to you during your freshman year and encourage you to become involved with the athletic program. Below you will find a list of the sports offered during the fall, winter and spring seasons at Loyola. Please pay special attention to the dates and times of the tryouts for these sports. Typically tryouts take place one month prior to the start of the season. Prior to participation in any practice, all necessary Student Health paperwork must be received in order for a student to be allowed to practice. The only preparation that we recommend you do before your freshman year is the summer weight lifting/conditioning program offered through the summer school office.
Fall (Freshman Football, Freshman Cross Country, Freshman Water Polo):
1. Freshman Football: All information regarding summer workout dates and requirements, weightlifting hours and mandatory administrative dates are listed under Athletics on the Loyola website (www.loyolahs.edu). Click on the link on the left side of the page – “Incoming Freshman Athletic Information”. If you have any questions please contact Coach Levi Line at firstname.lastname@example.org or by phone at (213)381-5121, ext. 3040.
2. Freshman Cross Country: All information regarding summer workout dates and requirements are listed under Athletics on the Loyola website (www.loyolahs.edu). Click on the link on the left side of the page – “Incoming Freshman Athletic Information”. If you have any questions please contact Coach Diaz at email@example.com or by phone at (213)381-5121, ext. 3018.
3. Freshman Water Polo: All information regarding summer workout dates and requirements are listed under Athletics on the Loyola website (www.loyolahs.edu). Click on the link on the left side of the page – “Incoming Freshman Athletic Information”. If you have any questions, please contact Coach Erik Healy at firstname.lastname@example.org or by phone at (213) 381-5121, ext. 3028.
Winter (Freshman Basketball and Freshman Soccer)
1. Freshman Basketball: All information regarding summer workout dates and requirements are listed under Athletics on the Loyola website (www.loyolahs.edu). Click on the link on the left side of the page – “Incoming Freshman Athletic Information”. If you have any questions please contact Coach Adams at email@example.com or by phone at (213) 381-5121, ext. 1615.
2. Freshman Soccer: There are no summer workouts for Freshman Soccer. Please check the announcements at the beginning of the fall semester for information regarding try-outs. If you have any questions, please contact Coach Walter at firstname.lastname@example.org or by phone at (213)381-5121 ext. 1515.
Spring (Freshman Baseball, JV Golf, JV Lacrosse, Frosh/Soph Swimming & Dive, JV Tennis, Frosh/Soph Track & Field, and Freshman Volleyball.
1. Freshman Baseball: All information regarding summer workout dates and requirements are listed under Athletics on the Loyola website (www.loyolahs.edu). Click on the link on the left side of the page – “Incoming Freshman Athletic Information”. If you have any questions please contact Coach Buller at email@example.com or by phone at (213) 381-5121, ext. 1214.
2. JV Golf: There are no summer workouts for JV golf. Please check the announcements during the school year for information regarding try-outs. If you have any questions, please contact Coach Jackson at firstname.lastname@example.org or by phone at (213)381-5121 ext. 1206.
3. JV Lacrosse: There are no summer workouts for JV Lacrosse. Please check the announcements during the school year for information regarding try-outs. If you have any questions, please contact Coach Cohen at email@example.com .
4. Frosh/Soph Swim & Dive: There are no summer workouts for Frosh/Soph Swim & Dive. Please check the announcements during the school year for information regarding try-outs. If you have any questions, please contact Coach Kevin Mann (Swimming) at firstname.lastname@example.org.
5. JV Tennis: There are no summer workouts for JV Tennis. Please check the announcements during the school year for information regarding try-outs. If you have any questions, please contact Coach Held at email@example.com or by phone at (213)381-5121 ext. 3029.
6. Frosh/Soph Track & Field: There are no summer workouts for Frosh/Soph Track & Field. Please check the announcements during the school year for information regarding try-outs. If you have any questions, please contact Coach Porterfield at firstname.lastname@example.org or by phone at (213)381-5121 ext.3056.
7. Freshman Volleyball: There are no summer workouts for Freshman Volleyball. Please check the announcements during the school year for information regarding try-outs. If you have any questions, please contact Coach Boehle at email@example.com or by phone at (213)381-5121 ext.1318.
Enjoy the rest of your year and I look forward to meeting you in August. Again, congratulations on your acceptance to Loyola High School as a member of the class of 2023.
Chris O’Donnell ‘88